Grand Prairie, Texas
Raleigh, North Carolina
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Glassboro, New Jersey
Granville, New York
Bossier City, Louisiana
Aiken, South Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
San Marcos, California
Jericho, New York
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas
Type: Full Time
Salary: $6,363 to $10,761 per Month
Internal Number: 476-23-01
Looking for a career change from full time equine practice but still want to stay involved in the performance horse industry?
A Texas Racing Commission state veterinary job may be the answer!
The Goal of the Texas Racing Commission is to be the Best State Agency in the Great State of Texas and we need great people to join our team. We provide a great working environment along with outstanding benefits, including:
Generous paid time off including vacation, sick time, and holidaysFlexible work schedulesRetirement pension with match401(k), 457(b) and RothHealth premiums 100% paid for full-time employees and affordable benefits for dependents
Career development programs/opportunities for advancement
To view benefits available to all State of Texas employees visit the Employee Retirement Systems website at https://ers.texas.gov/benefits-at-a-glance.
The Texas Racing Commission has both full time and part time jobs available at Texas horse race tracks.
Our goal is to have a select group of qualified equine veterinarians dedicated to making sure every horse that enters the starting gates has no signs of unsoundness that may result in a serious race injury. Safety of the horse and jockey during a race is our primary objective and responsibility.
About the Position:
Full-time Commission Veterinarian
· The position requires work at Texas tracks conducting live horse race meets. Travel between tracks is required as no Texas track has year around live racing. All travel expenses, such as, vehicle mileage, hotel stays, and meals are reimbursed by the Texas Racing Commission.
· The work schedule involves work 2-4 days per week depending on the race schedule at each race track.
· Primarily responsibilities include: pre-race soundness exams on all horses entered each day, triage of injured horses on the race track, and oversight of lab test sample collection by trained technicians.
· You will be teamed with an experienced regulatory veterinarian. Written protocols for various exam and treatment scenarios will be provided for those with no previous regulatory experience.
Part-time Contract Veterinarian
· Contract veterinarians have the same race day duties as their full time state counterparts.
· The work schedule is part time at one or two race meets during the year with flexible scheduling among the contract veterinarian staff.
· Occasional short term notice to fill in for other veterinarians may occur.
· Salary is on a per day basis with travel expenses reimbursed.
About the Texas Racing Commission:
· Commission veterinarians are employed by the Texas Racing Commission which is a Texas government mandated state agency tasked with oversite of all racing in the state of Texas.
· Commission veterinarians are state employees with excellent state health, retirement, and 401K savings plans.
· The veterinary department has the sole responsibility of insuring the health and safety of all horses stabled on race track grounds.
For more information; Call or Text the TXRC Chief Veterinarian at 512-529-1546.
Visit our website; www.txrc.texas.gov
Our Ideal Candidate:
· Holds a Texas state veterinary license or eligibility to obtain a license.
· Has a DEA license.
· Has several years of experience with equine lameness evaluation.
· Has competency identifying lame horses, the leg involved, and the degree of lameness.
· Has good PR skills and can maintain professional conduct in all situations when working with trainers and backside veterinarians.