El Paso, Texas
Sturgis, South Dakota
San Angelo, Texas
Santa Clarita, California
North Fort Myers, Florida
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Califon, New Jersey
Townville, South Carolina
Rhinebeck, New York
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
Location: El Paso, Texas
Required Education: Some College
Salary: Stipend available
United Veterinary Care is delighted to host veterinary students for externships! This valuable clinical experience will let you take what you’ve learned in the classroom and put it to the test in an animal hospital of your choice. Our hands-on externships are designed exclusively for veterinary students at AVMA-accredited veterinary schools in their clinical years, typically meaning their 3rd or 4th year of vet school. Since every student has different interests, we are excited to offer these programs at a wide variety of our amazing partner hospitals. We know that travel and lodging expenses for externships can often be cost-prohibitive on a student’s budget. To make our externships as accessible as possible, we offer stipends to externs to help offset these costs (unless prohibited by the veterinary school you are attending).
Hospital information:East El Paso Animal Hospitalis a large, multi-doctor, mixed-animal practice in El Paso, Texas. It is important to our team to offer comprehensive medical and surgical care for both large and small animals. Our state-of-the-art hospital allows for a full range of veterinary services for small animals on-site, and we also provide farm calls for our large animal patients. Currently, small animal patients make up 95% of our patients, with the remaining 5% being large animal patients. Our large team of doctors and highly skilled support staff have a variety of interests, including ultrasound, dentistry, and surgery. We even offer orthopedic surgery such as FHO, fracture repair, and surgery for CCL ruptures. If you are wanting to explore life as a mixed-animal veterinarian, with a compassionate and supportive team, an externship at East El Paso Animal Hospital would be the ideal choice!
Dogs; Cats; Potbellied pigs; Small ruminants; Equine
Ultrasound; Endoscopy; Soft tissue surgery; Orthopedic surgery; Dentistry; Wellness/Preventative care; Medical appointments; Farm calls for large animals
What to expect from your externship:
We want to hear from you about your professional goals for your externship experience! Please indicate your top priorities in your application, so we can tailor the experience to meet your needs.
During your externship, you can expect to actively participate in cases and further your development towards becoming a veterinarian. Throughout your time with us, you will always be supervised by an experienced veterinarian and skilled support staff. This team will serve as your mentors for your externship experience. Expect to be included in surgical cases, dental procedures, emergencies, sick patient workups, and routine medical appointments. If there are certain technical skills you are looking to improve on, let us know so we can place emphasis on these areas! We encourage active participation from externs, introduce them to our clients, and truly make them part of our team. Listening to the patient history, conducting a preliminary exam, and formulating a plan for diagnostics and treatment are a great way to put your education to the test and help prepare you for the real-world of veterinary medicine. You will discuss these cases with your supervising veterinarian and have them confirm your exam findings to verify whether are on the right track with your plans before moving forward with the case as a team. This dynamic creates the ideal environment for you to grow in your confidence and skill with managing both routine and complex cases. We encourage externs to select one case per week to further research and engage the veterinarians in further case discussion with this additional information. These case discussions help our teams learn and grow together; further emphasizing that mentorship is a two-way street.
We truly enjoy hosting externs and having new graduates join our teams since with new team members always comes new shared knowledge!